For well over a century, the St. Louis Amateur Athletic Association has played an important role in the development of golf and tennis in St. Louis.
In October 1897, fifty leading citizens formed a club to provide low cost athletic facilities. Mr. Alfred Jones was the principal founder.
Little did Mr. Jones know that his dream would still be going strong after five major wars, a great depression, years of legal wrangling concerning park occupancy, and a fire that destroyed the clubhouse.
The first club house was located inside the one-mile track of the Gentleman’s Driving Club in Forest Park near Skinker Boulevard and Forsyth on what is now the Norman K. Probstein Golf Course in Forest Park.
In 1902, Triple A was given 70 acres of land at its current location because the 1904 World’s Fair needed to use the land. This special spot in Forest Park used to be known as Tierny Hill. Tennis courts, a baseball diamond with stands, a track, a golf course, handball courts and volleyball courts were built at this new location. A lacrosse team was created and won the silver medal at the 1904 Olympics!
A Storied History
The golf and tennis facilities at Triple A Club have flourished over the years, producing many great amateur and professional players.
St. Louisan Dwight Davis had a vision of starting a world tennis competition between countries that continues today.
Triple A had the honor of hosting the Davis Cup matches in 1927, 1946, and 1961.
In addition to this prominent event, numerous clinics, exhibitions, sectional, and district competitions have been held over the years at Triple A Club.